Neymeen (നെയ്മീന്) fishes are a delicacy in several regions of South India and Sri Lanka. In Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh, this fish is called “Vanjaram” and is usually the costliest variety available. In Sri Lanka it is called “thora”. Also referred to as “king mackerels”.
These fishes are available online, one of the website from where I bought is www.seatohome.com. The fish and came around 11am. I was in a hurry to make this fish fry. I usually buy this as steaks, it is cleaned cut into round shape which is ready to fry. When we buy fish as whole it hard to clean and cut.
Neymeen curry is everyone’s favorite curry all time. Imagine a morning breakfast with puttu(steamed cake) with Neymeen fish curry, mm… I know your mouth filled with water right. Mine too he he… Yes lets have Neymeen fish curry today.
So Try this recipe and I am sure that every one will love this. Try it out and let me know what you think about.
Seer fish / Neymeen / Vanjaram / Surmai fish curry
|Prep time||30 minutes|
|Cook time||40 minutes|
|Total time||1 hours, 10 minutes|
|Meal type||Lunch, Side Dish|
- 1 Medium Tomato
- Salt (to taste)
- 8 pieces Seer fish/ Neymeen/ Surumai
- 1/2 " Ginger
- 12 cloves Garlic
- 20 pieces Small onion
- 3 Medium Green chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 Coconut (finely grated)
- 1/8 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup Curry leaves
- Neymeen fish is very tender so handle carefully.
- Place the fish in a pan after the masala is fully boiled otherwise raw smell of masala will be absorbed by the fish.
- You can add Kodampuli(കൊടമ്പുളി ) or Malabar Tamarind instead of tomatoes it will give fine taste.
- To avoid tenderness, apply Lemon juice to Fish after cleaning till the fish gets added to curry. Pieces wont break