Erachi Puttu (ഇറച്ചിപ്പുട്ട്) or Masala Puttu is a breakfast dish with a special flavour of spices and masalas. If u are getting bored of ordinary puttu this will be one your choice. I have made it with chicken. You can try this with beef, mutton, prawns minced. This will be a special breakfast for your special Sundays.
Puttu is a South Indian breakfast dish served with palm sugar and or chick pea or banana. In Sri Lanka it is known as “pittu”. Puttu consists of coarsely grinded rice, grated coconut and sugar. Chiratta puttu is also a method in which coconut shell attached to a section of bamboo. Nowadays the chiratta puttu is available as metal steaming vessel.
I enjoyed a lot eating this Erachi Puttu. So try it out and let me know what u think about.
Erachi Puttu (ഇറച്ചിപ്പുട്ട്) / masala puttu
|Prep time||15 minutes|
|Cook time||45 minutes|
|Total time||1 hour|
|Meal type||Breakfast, Main Dish|
- 1 cup Chicken breast (cut into small cubes)
- 1 Large Onion
- 1 " Ginger
- 5-6 cloves Garlic
- 2 Medium Green chillies
- 1/8 teaspoon Fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Garam masala
- 1/8 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 cup Navara rice (roasted rice)
- 1 cup Coconut (finely grated)
- Salt (to taste)
- Water (as needed)
- Add water little by little so that excess water makes it a dough.
- For soft puttu grind the prepared mixture in a blender.
- The mixture should holds it shape when pressed between your fist and crumble easily when pressed harder.