On my previous post about Crab roast, I mentioned about the discovery of the seafood shop by my husband. Afterwards, he said about the availability of squids in the same shop and thought of buying them. However, last Saturday, when we went there to buy one, it was not available. So, I bought crab again and made the crab curry.
Yesterday, my husband came back from office early and since he reached early, I asked him to take the Mixer out for repair. On his way to the shop he also visited the seafood shop. And luckily squid was available and he bought home some.
Then, I made this Kanava Thoran(Koonthal/ Squid/ Calamari Stir Fry) for the dinner yesterday. This is how we usually make thoran at home and we enjoyed having it with puttu.
Sharing the recipe below. Hope you would also find it very delicious.
Kanava Thoran(Koonthal/ Squid/ Calamari Stir Fry)
|Prep time||10 minutes|
|Cook time||45 minutes|
|Total time||55 minutes|
|Meal type||Side Dish|
- 250g Kanava/Squid/Koonthal
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- Salt (to taste)
- Curry leaves
- 1/2 cup Coconut (grated)
- 4-5 cloves Garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon Perum jeerakam/Fennel seeds
- 4-5 Green chillies
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 6 Shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Meat masala
- 1/4 teaspoon Garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander powder
- Salt (as needed)
- You can cook kanava in a pressure cooker. Whistle for 5-6 nos. It will become soft.
- While grinding coconut with other ingredients, don't grind it into a paste.